Restore blogger blogs with backed-up xml files

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jul 4, 2007 at 5:13 AM
I have used "blogger backup utility" to backup mu blogposts (xml files)
How do i use these xml files and restore my blog
any help is great help
Thank you
Deepa
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2007 at 2:31 PM
Good question. And I hate to say it, but I have no idea. I’ve been so focused on backing up the data, I’ve not thought too much about restoring it.

I wrote the utility because I was worried about the 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade and also just to provide a safety net in case “something” happened to my blog.

Luckily (for me at least) the 3.0 upgrade was smooth and I’ve never had to restore a blog or post. I’ve figured that if something DID happen, I’d have the xml at least and would figure out what to do then…

The utility currently saves the raw ATOM xml from the GData component. I’m thinking that it shouldn’t be too hard to write a program (or add feature to the Blogger Backup utility) to feed that posts xml back into the GData and create a new post based on that. There are Google/Blogger limits to avoid spam/splogs (I believe its 50 posts a day), but still I think we can make it so some posts can be restored at least…

I wish I could have provided a more direct answer, but I WILL be thinking about this…

Thanks for your comments and for the challenge, ;)
Greg
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2007 at 3:09 PM
Currently the easiest way to restore a post would be to open the XML for the given post (in IE or FireFox), copy everything between the <content type="html"> .... </content> tags into the body (via the "Edit HTML" tab) of a new post.

Yeah, I know. It's not pretty nor viable for restoring many posts, but it does work quite well for one or two...
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2007 at 9:10 PM
A Restore Post(s) feature is coming in the next (1.0.5.x) release which will hopefully be released next weekend, (7/21-22)
Jul 16, 2007 at 2:30 AM
This a great news.. waiting eagerly..Good luck
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2007 at 8:48 PM
v1.0.5.14 released and now available for download. This includes the new Restore Posts feature...

So I guess now it's the Blogger Backup and Restore utility... ;)