A few problems

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:00 PM
First of all thanks for this great program. I think it's the best way to backup Blogger.

I have some problems though. Hopefully you can help me sort these problems out.

First of all I could never use Custom Path Builder. Unhandled exception error is given saying Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Tried with 1.04 and 1.07.16) I'm running Windows XP SP2

I have .net framework 2.0 installed. Do I need 3.0 or another framework?

I think as a result of this I can't use "one file per post" option. When I select this option and start backup, it tries for a while and then stops without any actions.

Also I can't have full posts in backups. Only a small portion of the post is retrieved.
In 1.04 I could get them compeletely.
I guess the backup mechanism is now RSS based?
I have set the RSS feed to short in blogger and I don't want to change that option as many of my posts are too long to be posted in an RSS feed.

I hope there are solutions to these problems. I couldn't find them in discussions.

Regards
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2007 at 5:20 PM
Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to post...

a) I'll look at the Custom Path Builder and see where I screwed up... :)
Can you tell me when you get the error? Is it when you click on the Custom Path button? Or somewhere in the dialog itself? Or when actually backing up the posts? Can you take a screenshot of the error and post it here?

b) .Net 2.0 is fine. I'm sure I just messed up somewhere...

c) As for the getting the full posts, the utility only works off of your public feed (and it's actually only ever worked this way). So yes, if your feed is Summary, then that's all that will be backed up.

I've just updated the main page to better explain this...

I'm looking at possible work-arounds, but right now it's a limitation imposed by the primary/main library I use, Google's GData. GData is ATOM based and is the basic structure of the API)

Still, I know I wouldn't want to switch between summary and full just to back up my posts, so I am looking into some way to deal with this. GData has private feed functionality that might fit the bill. At least that's where I'm looking first...

Also I'm looking at providing supplemental backup formats like HTML, PDF, MHT, etc. Many of the formats will NOT be limited by your blog's feed format (i.e. summary or full).

Anyway, short term I'll be looking into that Custom Path Builder issue...

Thanks,
Greg
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2007 at 5:23 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 18, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

a)The error shows up when I click the button. Than the error pops up. I've never been able to see the dialog other than screenshots.

This is the error window: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z245/leventdal/temp/bbbug.jpg

b) OK. After posting the message I've installed 3.0 and didn't help.

c) Oops. I have a backup with 1.0.4 where full posts are backed up. I don't remember exactly, maybe I enabled full atom feed during backup then switched back to short.

I hope the full post issue can be resolved somehow.

And the alternative display formats would be very nice.
I'm not XML guru but as far as I know a style file should be enough to show the XML in the browser.

Btw here is a suggestion for the future.
I've seen many people trying to switch from Blogger to other blog software like WordPress or Moveable type.
If you can accomplish this I believe this would create a huge userbase.

Thanks again for your attention.
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2007 at 8:54 PM
Perfect, thank you. That Custom Path Builder information will (that you get it when you click on the button) will help a great deal...

Yep, one of the options I plan on providing is just applying XSLT to the XML to pretty it up. But that can only pretty up what's already in the XML... The HTML, PDF, MHT, etc features I would like to implement would be in addition to the normal/current ATOM XML, and would be driven off a post's permalink, and would thereby not be affected by any Summary/Full feed setting.

As for using this feature to migrate blogs... I plan on also providing BlogML support. This is used by many engines for blog importing, migration, etc, (But it will require that the Blogger Blog have their feeds set to Full for that backup... as it will be a ATOM to BlogML conversion thing, also maybe using XSLT). So I'm hoping the very cool BlogML will solve that migration/switch request... (Or at least make a start at it)

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to report these issues and make your suggestions. They help a great deal...

Thanks again,
Greg