Had to disable Post Feed Redirect URL to get backups

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:25 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2007 at 5:38 AM
Brand new user of this unique and interesting pgm. Was pointed to it via a google blog (I think!)...anyway, I have a new blog that I process via FeedBurner, at XYplorer.blogspot called "XYplorer updates"...I installed current vers of your pgm on my W2K sys using NET 2.0...and it logged in just fine, but wouldn't backup anything.
Using 'save as one post per file', it just started and finished without any output.
Using 'save all in one file', it said (I believe) "opening output" or similar and then just sat there...

So...had an inspiration! Went into Blogger>Settings>Site Feed and temporarily removed the Post Feed Redirect URL which pointed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/XYplorerUpdates.

Tried it again, and then it worked just fine! So seem that this interim processing by FeedBurner gets in the way maybe? (Update: after creating this thread, I found a similar thread from July, but it was marked as closed(?) so this may still be an issue)

After creating my blog about a week ago, the first thing I wanted was a way to do some sort of a full backup of it, and it appears your program IS a solution to that issue! Thanks!!!
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2007 at 3:20 PM
As you found, you're the second person who's had this problem (resolving it the same way).

I've been having a problem reproducing it, as my feed is redirected and it backups up fine. And same with the previous thread, I couldn't get it to reproduce.

I hate it when that happens...

BUT I am able to reproduce it now in your case, with your blog, so maybe now I can do something to resolve it.

WORSE case I maybe look at the feed URL and if it's Feedburner, and the app is unable to pull the feed, provide a nicer warning and give the user some guidance.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do...

Thanks,
Greg
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2007 at 5:22 PM
YEAH! I found a solution to this...

Short Term:
Here's what you can do today, with the current version to work around this issue

In the Available Blogs list, go to Add/Update/Remove Blogs.

On the "OR Manually add a Blogger blog"

In the "Blog Title/Name:" field enter "XYplorer updates-Manual" (Or some other name to identify this entry as the manually entered one.

In the "Blogger Blog URL:" field enter "http://xyplorer.blogspot.com/"

In the "Blogger Feed URL:" field enter "http://www.blogger.com/feeds/1597659295031805133/posts/default" (This is the magic)

Click the Add Blog button.

Now select "XYplorer updates-Manual" in the "Available Blogs" list and back it up. It should work fine now.

For my (and others) future reference, the above Feed URL is from the blog's header, in the href in Link element with the rel="service.post" attribute.
(Go to the blog, "View Source" in Internet Explorer, and search for "rel="service.post"" and then use what ever's in the href without the quotes)

Medium Term
I'm working on an update to the utility now that will automate all this and will automatically use the Service.Post value (assuming you use the "Log into Blogger to get and add your blogs" functionality).

I'm also looking into grabbing this value for "Manually add..." users too.

The new version won't be out for a week or two. But at least we now have a work around... :)
Sep 10, 2007 at 1:47 AM
Edited Sep 10, 2007 at 2:23 AM
Thanks much for the prompt reply! I was somewhat wondering how long it would take, since I've gotten so spoiled by Don's (author of XYplorer file manager) speedy replies to bug reports...(I've seen a fix version released within 20 min of issue being reported, but that is atypical...most fixes take around a day or two)...anyway, I'm glad that you found the cause! I suspected it had something to do with that redirection thing...what you're looking for in terms of data is likely not the same as what a RSS reader would, so they can handle the pass-thru without a glitch, while your pgrm chokes unfortunately.

The numeric value that you showed as service.post is the same that is used within Blogger site to get to various features, as I had bookmarked the 'Edit Post' page, and its URL was "http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=1597659295031805133" plus the value is typically shown in the address bar while one is managing the blog...so going hunting thru page source is likely not needed.

BTW, I used the default naming options for folder/file name, and was quite surprised that when using "combined" option, that the output file name did not include any date/time info...it ended up being "XYplorer updates.xml" ...I'm presuming that I can modify this to do so?

And in the "Wish" category: Could the last used blog entry be loaded as default when starting the program, if available? Right now, one has to go to the drop-down and select the blog...if I wanted to add/upd/del one, I'd obviously then have to select that, but for the ongoing backup process, it would make it easier to have blog value pre-loaded..

Plus: I had trouble finding the name/location of how one sets the output name values, as I was looking for it in Tools menu...
"Custom Path Builder" for this newbie wasn't quite obvious, IMHO, and I'd suggest maybe "Output Naming Options" or similar instead...oh, and maybe the Path Builder dialog panel could be a bit smaller so that the higher level panels title bar would still be visible at least.

Also, in the program install process, I don't recall seeing any chance to define which group to put the program startup shortcut into, so it ended up in the generic one...I have a 3 to 4 level hierarchy for my "Programs" groupings and prefer install processes that allow me to easily override the default value, as well as define whether it should be for current user or all users (my preference).

As I wrote before, I'm very happy that someone is attempting to address this problem of backup/restore of blog postings!

Sorry if I put too much stuff in here about other items, but just got on a typing binge! :)
Coordinator
Sep 10, 2007 at 3:20 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM
a) Naming Options for the Combinded (single file) XML output
Yes, I'll likely adding that in the future.
Provide Naming Options (aka Custom Path Builder) for Combinded/Single XML Output

b) Remember last used Blog
I'll add that to the coming release.
Remember last used blog in the Avaliable Blogs list

c) Rename Custom Path Build button
Yeah, a new name makes sense. I've been going around and around try to come up with a logical name.
"Output Save Options" is good. Or maybe something like "Backup File Naming"
Change name of the Custom Path Builder button to something more fitting

d) Select Start Menu Group on Setup
Added to the list...
Allow the user to select which Group/Folder the utility is installed to during Setup

I'm glad you like the app and thank you very much for your suggestions...
Greg
Sep 11, 2007 at 1:05 AM
I certainly didn't want to make your life more difficult, but I'm happy to have been able to provide some (hopefully) simple to implement yet likely worthwhile improvements to this appl...If you happen to look at the XYplorer forum, you'll see that I'm the 2nd most frequent poster there because I found the author (and other 'fanatics') so helpful and fun to work with...and an author who responds like you also have done makes it worthwhile!

BTW, a bit about my background: I've been working with PC's since before they were called PC's! Started back in 1978 or so...plus I was a mainframe senior COBOL programmer/analyst for about 25 yrs until 2001...so I've seen a number of app's in my time!

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM
Just to keep you in the loop...

I have an update that I'm working on that solves this feedburner issue, but I'm currently stuck in a work cycle from hell so can't add the finishing touches (it's like almost done... 99%, just need to polish it up, test it some more, etc).

In this coming release items B & C above are also addressed. :)

Thanks again,
Greg
Apr 8, 2008 at 4:40 AM
After quite a while, like 6+ months, I'm getting back to this forum and wondering what ever happened to the issues that I'd had back in Sept? I see that vers is now quite different from what I have installed, which is 1.0.7.16, so will try out latest vers now...but just wanted to follow-up here as well. Thanks!

BTW, one of the potential problems that I had with the vers I was using was that all the needed "nbsp;" that I had to embed in blog to format it correctly were NOT backed up, and in some cases, I had to embed dozens of them pre blog post to get it right so loosing them would be hundreds of hours of re-work.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2008 at 1:29 PM
If you can point me at the posts of the nbsp issue I'll take a look... But the utility takes Blogger's atom XML and via their library (gdata.net) saves it directly to a file... The utility, when doing a single one post per file backup doesn't touch the saved XML at all.

So the issue may very well be with Blogger or the gdata library.

But in any case, if I can see the issue I can at least report it to them.

Thanks.