Spitting a blogger blog in two...

Topics: User Forum
Mar 22, 2008 at 10:27 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2008 at 1:28 AM
gduncan,

Thanks for the lovely widget. I want to ask (before I take the plunge) is I can do this:
1) backup about 400 posts from an existing blogger blog (url redirects to blogger)
2) "Split" posts by label
3) upload (restore) posts with one set of labels to one blogger blog and another set to another blogger blog.
4) probably dump or hide original blogger account.

Simple solution is if blogger let me copy and paste one blog into 2 new blogs -- I could remove redundancy manually. Not possible, I hear...

I understand that template formatting will have to be redone, but I am hoping that posts will be formatted (italics, links, etc) and that comments will also come with posts.

Can you clarify what I can expect -- so I do not waste hours fitting a square peg into a round hole?

Thanks!

David
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM
1) Yes. I use it to backup up the 2,800+ posts from my blog...
As long the blog is online and has a public feed or you have the user account and password.

2) No, you'd have to do this manually.
Open the posts, look at their labels, etc.

3) No, you'd have to do this manually
Open the posts, figure out which ones have which labels, and back those up.
I like the idea behind this and will add this as a feature in a future release.

4) Account/Blog management has to be done via Blogger directly.

a) Yes, post formatting is included in the backed up and restored posts.

b) Comment restore is not currently supported (but already on the list...)

In short, yes, it might, kind of, sort of, help you, but with some manual intervention (the splitting up and determining what posts get restored to what blog part would be manual).

Another tool I just heard about today, blog2blog, might also be something for you to check out. It's primary purpose in life seems to be the moving of posts from one blog to another...

I hope this helps a little,
Greg
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:33 AM
Greg,

Tnx for the fast response and useful hints. Like BB, B2B does not handle comments (obviously non-trivial programming), but I can see that you are both on the same page.

Speaking of portability, check this out: http://www.economist.com/business/PrinterFriendly.cfm?story_id=10880936

You are the future :)

Best,
David