Unhandled exception:Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 1, 2008 at 10:59 AM
Alright it all happen like this.
I had a blog URL.But because i want to change it.
Thus i need a backup for the database in blogger.com
I found this software.Super nice.:D

But, after i have save my backup,
i wanted to restore the files.
Then this error promt out Unhandled exception:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
It seems to me that it is because my posts do not have a post title.
Only those posts with a title will be able to upload.
So i am asking if there is anyway i can still upload my posts which do not have any title on them?
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2008 at 1:57 PM
There's a bug in a couple places that is causing this...

a) There's a bug in google's/blogger's code that is causing the Title to no appear in the XML they are providing. I reported this a while ago and it's still pending... Title's for all posts USED to work, but a few months ago some posts "lost" their titles. I have backups of some of my old posts that have titles, but if I now backup those posts they don't... (and nothing changed in the posts)

b) There's a bug in the Blogger Backup utility where it expects a Title to exist...

The current work around is to manually edit the XML files (Notepad works fine for this) and add a title element to it.

Open an XML backup file that has a Title, copy that into the files that don't, and edit its text... This was confirmed to work for others...

I'm working on a new release (v1.5) that solves this issue, but may release a patch in the mean time to fix this specific issue.

Thanks,
Greg
Apr 2, 2008 at 8:41 AM
Thank you for your rapid reply.
I was not expecting it to be so soon!

It is kinda my bad because i did not enter a title for ALL my posts.
So i doubt i can put the the code for the title for all my XML files because there are afew hundreds of them.

So i guess i will wait for your release!
I sure hope for the release.
Around when will it be released?

Thank you for your reply!
Hope to hear from u soon
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 1:13 PM
Ouch...

Okay, I'll work on the patch and get that to you as soon as I can (I'm hacking it out now... ;)
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM
Done. Get the latest, 1.0.9.23 release, v1.0.9.23 Beta, and give it a try and let me know if it works (it should, it handles the restoring of my "no title" restores fine now... :)
Apr 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Yes it work!
A big thank you to you!
It was really efficient!
Fast!
Incredible!

Thank you so much!