Blog is not backing up?

Topics: Developer Forum
May 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Ok, I used this tool to successfully back up one blog, but now I'm trying to use the tool on the second blog and it is not working.  I followed the exact same steps so I'm not sure what could be wrong.  (Incidentally, the BBU is not keeping my settings when I close it & restart it, but that's a separate topic.)

I have logged into my blog (the blog address is desperatelyseekingsavings.blogspot.com) and selected it to back up.  I created a folder on my hard drive to store the files, which I selected.  I keep the default settings and click "Backup Posts."  The notification bar at the bottom just says "Saving Post Yes I Went Temporarily Insane" which is my most recent post... and that's it.  Nothing is saving, it's just sitting there.  I closed it, started over, same thing.

And now it's not even working for the first blog - I tried to get my newest post.

I'm running Windows XP if that helps... I'm not sure what else might be helpful, but I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

E

Coordinator
May 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Looking into it now...

You're using the latest version of the utility?

Coordinator
May 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM

sigh... this is one of those "fun" issues. I'm able to backup your posts with no problems.

Can you take a screenshot of the app when it stops, and also zip of the application logs? (Go to the Help menu, select Application Logs and zip up the files there). Also can you email me your BBSettings files?

If you could, please email these to me at gduncan411 hotmail com

Thanks,
Greg

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Ok Greg - you must have done something magical from afar.  Apparently the software heard your threat about taking screenshots & looking into it, and now everything works swimmingly.  I promise I waited several days & many attempts to coax it to work before I wrote.  Grrr!  That happens to me when I call the help desk at work too - I must have evil software fairies following me around, destined to ruin my reputation with the technorati.

In any event... now that it's working... I love this tool, and I had just written a post on Tuesday lamenting how I wish I could backup my blog so if something happened to Google or Blogspot I wouldn't lose a lot of work.  Thanks for using your spare time to do stuff for other people that helps them.

Also - thanks so much for responding so quickly.  If it happens again I'll try to catch it in the act!

E

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2008 at 7:32 PM
Prefect! Thanks for following up and letting me know my mentally projected "stupid software, you had better work" threats kicked in.  :p

And I'm glad you like it... :)