Not able to restore from the back up file

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I want to copy my posts to another blog.So i took the  backup of my blog with this utility , in single file sized 105 MB (because my blog is having around 38,000 posts). now i want to restore with this xml file to another blog..but iam unable to, whenever i click restore posts and select the file, then its going to NOT RESPONDING . But after some time (5 to 10 mins), its came to normal and one more window opened " Select posts to restore.." , there i can see the required xml file and i fill in my blog user id and password , then i click ok...Next the status bar of the Utility is  looks like : 

1. first " Loading c:/........./........./............./............./back up.xml "

2 .Next , " Creating post back up

3. Next  "Posting to blogger "

4 .Next error occured , "Error Occured to Blogger : The request was aborted: the request was cancelled "

This is my problem, can you please help me with this..And in the Processed Posts Area, There is "back up"And as of my understanding, its look like its trying to create the whole .xml file in a single post , and so its giving me error...it has to post in seperate posts , right? 

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM

As i told above, i think when i click restore posts, its trying to take all posts file into a single post...so this time i took back up with "Each post in different file"..and i got a xml file for each post. so this time i tried to restore single post(single xml file) , but this time "Error posting to bloger : Execution of Request failed : http://xxxxxxx.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default"..so this one also failed to restore.

And one more thing , when i tried add settings in starting, first manually add/edit a bog, there i gave my blog details and then click Get feed URL , nothing came..why??????? so i chose second method "login to blogger to choose ur blogs"

Can u please any body help me to restore my blog , in any method????????????????????????????????????????

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

It isn't taking them all and putting them into a single post, but it is parsing it. One way to keep the file from being to big is to use the All Posts, One File method, but then change the number of posts per file.

In any case, I don't think this utility is really going to help you. Blogger has a limit of posts that can be made a day, 50, so the utility can only restore 50 posts a day. It would take about forever to restore 38,000.

Best bet might be to use Bloggers built-in export feature and then import that into the new blog. That will work around the 50 per day limit