Blogger Backup utility won't Start

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Hi Greg,

I've been using your tool for quite a while now, with no problem at all, and I must say a big thanks for this.

But since this morning, I cannot launch the application. When I launch the .exe nothing happens.

The application manager tells me that Blogger Backup Utility is using 99% of my processor capacity but nothing is starting.

I ran all the spywares / malwares I could find to clean my computer, same with the antiviruses, but still no change.

Any idea ?

Thx for your help.

BTW : happy New Year !

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM

That's wierd... Hate to give you the usual "Support" question, but you've rebooted? Try rebooting and then launch it and see if it starts.

What version are running (or trying to run ;)?

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Thx for your fast answer.

Well, yes I actually did all this (rebooted 5 times, cleaned my computer from every "bug" possible, and I also uninstalled the tool and reinstalled it after a reboot) but it still would not work...

The version I'm trying to run is v1.0.9.23 Beta, the most up to date version I could find. I read on your site that you're working on a 1.0.5.14 release but I could not find the .exe for this one...

What really enoyes me is that all my other applications are working propperly.

Damn, 2010 is not on a good track for me !

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Thanks... Sigh, sometimes I really hate technology.

I've been playing with v1.0.x and trying to figure out why it would do this (it's obivouly hitting an error somewhere and I'm not handling it well and so is getting stuck... sigh)

V1.5 is in private beta right now... If you send me your email address (email me at gduncan411 at hotmail) I'll add you to it, if you want?

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Well, that would be great mate.

Sorry to bother you a 1st of january with all this.

To be honest I didn't expect an answer before a few days !

I'll send you an email right away. Hopefully V 1.5 will work for me...

Cheers.

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Invite sent... And it's not a bother at all (I was bored and looking for something to do anyway... LOL :)

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Well, well, well...

Unfortunately, the application won't work, even whith the latest version.

I'm guessing that it might come from a windows problem on my side and not from your tool.

I actually read the following article and realised that I have all the symptoms described in the "Patch it" section...

I'll have to check my .net and Java install B4 getting back to you.

Thx again for your help anyway.

nenesse

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

oops

I was talking about this article :

http://www.pctoday.com/Editorial/article.asp?guid=&searchtype=0&article=articles/webonly/techsupport/529w10/529w10.asp&articleid=58365&WordList=&bJumpTo=True

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Okay... Will continue to keep my fringers crossed for you... :)

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Hey mate, you can finally uncross your fingers !

I fixed my problem.

The reason why the tool wouldn't work is because I was infected with a nasty little bugger called trojan.Win32.TDSS, which infected my atapi.sys. 

I Used a rootkit remover from Esage Labs @ http://www.esagelab.com/ to remove it and after that, your beautiful tool would launch again.

Thx again so much for taking the time to help me.

And congratz for this great project you're running. I can tell you it's making the life of many bloggers much easier.

Cheers.

nenesse

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Awesome! [Well awesome that it wasn't the project ;) ... sorry about the virus...]

Thanks the kind words and for following up (my fingers were beginning to cramp... lol)

Thanks again,
Greg

To: [email removed]
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:28:42 -0800
Subject: Re: Blogger Backup utility won't Start [bloggerbackup:79497]

Hey mate, you can finally uncross your fingers !
I fixed my problem.
The reason why the tool wouldn't work is because I was infected with a nasty little bugger called trojan.Win32.TDSS, which infected my atapi.sys.
I Used a rootkit remover from Esage Labs @ http://www.esagelab.com/ to remove it and after that, your beautiful tool would launch again.
Thx again so much for taking the time to help me.
And congratz for this great project you're running. I can tell you it's making the life of many bloggers much easier.
Cheers.
nenesse
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bloggerbackup@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email bloggerbackup@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com